Tuesday, December 29

2009 Recap (Oct-Dec) & Music Involvements

We're on the brink of 2010! To wrap up 2009's blogging, here's a peek at my life from October to December (this is part 4; see the 3 previous earlier posts for more):

October:

2. Gig: "Moonlight Voices in the City" by SMU Music Interactive Club (which I assisted) - MoonFest @ Esplanade - My first performance at the Esplanade concourse, bringing cheer to the public with stirring renditions of popular Chinese songs from the 70s and 80s... here's a sample:

6. Caught a free concert by a renowned string ensemble, the Camerata de Lausanne, at Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music... it had been some time since I heard such refined, exquisite string music...

17. Attended a songwriting workshop in the afternoon, conducted by Musical Theatre Limited at the Arts House. I learnt about the different types of musicals, wrote a short tune on the spot about the theme "Cinderella" with my group, and got to know more friends and music contacts.

Later on in the evening, I celebrated Joyce's 21st birthday with my diploma classmates!

24. This year, my organizer's filled with birthday celebrations; mostly a lot of my peers turning 21 like me. My NS mate Kok Chin turned 22 tonight! Celebration at Costa Sands Resort (Pasir Ris). Thereafter, headed to SAFRA GameHaven for LAN gaming with a few camp mates... (so I'm not a nerd, OK? For those of you who think I'm a "good boy" with no life except studying). Supper was beancurd ("tao huey") at Selegie! Yum yum...

29. Gig: Blackout @ Emily 2009 at Wild Oats Bar on the Hill. It was a charity gig in support of the Singapore After-Care Association, which helps ex-offenders re-integrate into society. Misty and I performed several songs, including "Always Be My Baby", "Close To You", "Byul", "If No One Will Listen" and "When You Believe"... all these videos can be found on my Facebook (you might have to search through a bit as I've got lots of videos)!

Here's "Almost Lover" and "Hero":

November:

7. "Superstar" Musical Reunion: about 15 of the cast from "Superstar: the Pop Musical", Singapore Polytechnic's first, gathered on 7 Nov 2009 for this overdue 3rd-year anniversary reunion, which was co-organized by Esther and me. We had dinner and games at Pit Stop Cafe.

13. Yet another eventful day: camp unit cohesion in the morning - complimentary KFC breakfast, followed by movie (2012) at Golden Village VivoCity. Later in the evening, went out for supper at MongKok Dim Sum (Geylang) with my TICE Camp "Team Heart" peeps.

14. Celebrated my diploma junior Cheryl's 21st birthday at UBud, a Balinese restaurant at Bukit Timah. The chicken and fish were good!

16. Gig: "The Stage Is Yours" - acoustic set @ Music Dreamer Live! Cafe. I was initially supposed to perform with my vocalist Haze, but she fell sick, so I pulled my other vocalist friends Nicholas and Misty in. Here's a snippet of our hour-long set... the full video set is available on my YouTube and Facebook accounts (the umpteenth time of me repeating, haha).

23-24. St. Joseph’s Institution International (SJII) presents its Christmas pantomime: “The Wizard of O.R.S.”! I helped out as their recorded sound engineer/arranger for the music/sound effects. It was a great experience working with both professionals and the kids alike!

December:

5. Gig: Singapore Prison Service - Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon @ Bliss Garden Restaurant, Singapore Expo. Nope, I don't volunteer with the Prisons, but I've helped out in similar charity events/dinners before, so this is just another one. My vocalist and guitarist friends from Teen Challenge and I performed "Wonderful Tonight" and "If Tomorrow Never Comes". I must say I was quite astounded and encouraged by the 9-course lunch, which included Shark's Fin Soup and Braised Abalone with Broccoli, among others.

11. Met up with some of the cast and crew of SJII's “The Wizard of O.R.S.” pantomime for pool, bowling and dinner at Marina Square. Wendy, their Drama H.O.D. (and my ex-lecturer), joined us later and we went over to the Esplanade to catch Babes Condes and her band perform some Filipino Christmas and traditional songs...

12-13. T'was not just an ordinary weekend for me, but a GIG-end with 3 performances - once at the Youth Advolution for Health's (YAH) 4th Birthday Bash 2009 @ Republic Polytechnic, and twice at a "Project Eathink" event outside The Cathay, organized by Singapore Management University's Gourmet Club. Here are some videos:

15. Several of us musical peeps from Singapore Polytechnic's "Superstar: the Pop Musical" gathered at at Changi Airport to bid farewell to Timothy, who played a lead role as "Jun Liang" in the musical. His entire family was emigrating to Canada... we miss you and wish you all the best Timo! Here's the group shot of us with the Cookie Monster pillow we bought for him (of special significance to him, as his "Jun Liang" character in the musical saw him carrying around his beloved Cookie Monster):

18. I DO drink, for those of you who aren't expecting me to. Occasionally though, haven't gotten fully-drunk before. Anyway, I chilled with some army mates tonight at Ice Cold Beer @ Singapore Management University (SMU). Later on at 1am, caught my music friend, vocal coach, and pianist Michelle at her final night performing with her band at BarStop. Here's the shot of Michelle with my army friends and me:

19. Christmas party at Cheryl's! Dinner was potluck, and we played games and exchanged gifts... thanks for hosting us Cheryl!

21.Representatives from my camp unit visited our adopted Ju Eng Home for Senior Citizens to spread the Christmas cheer. Here's Shawn Poh's soulful rendition of the classic "Moon River" by Henry Mancini, and Ace Huang's stirring take on Lin Jun Jie's "会有那么一天" (Hui You Na Me Yi Tian).

Here are two duets by Shawn and my mom, who volunteered to come down and sing - "If We Hold On Together" from "The Land Before Time" cartoon series, and Teresa Teng's popular "我只在乎你" (Wo Zhi Zai Hu Ni). I accompany them on keyboard.

23. Afternoon: went for a National Education tour to Semakau Landfill (offshore Singapore) to learn about waste management and increase our environmental awareness and appreciation (or so were the hopes of my camp unit when organizing this).

Evening: Christmas party at Rochelle's place. Met a few juniors from secondary school (several years apart), and discovered again how small the world really is!

30. Polytechnic classmate Peixia's 21st birthday @ Costa Sands Resort (Sentosa)

31. I counted down to the New Year at Marina Bay with Matthias, my army mate from BMT...

On a sidenote, here's a look back on my involvements with music this past 2009:

Gigs:

15 April 09 - "The Stage Is Yours" - acoustic set @ Music Dreamer Live! Cafe

24 April 09 - SMUMIC "The Ultimate Virtuoso 2009" Grand Finals @ Nexus Auditorium

5 May 09 - 41SAR RSM COC Parade @ Kranji Camp II - dinner performance

16 May 09 - Wedding gig @ Holiday Inn Atrium Hotel

5 June 09 - 6th Army Maintenance Base (6AMB) Family Day 2009 @ Nee Soon Dri Clad

13 June 09 - [Singapore Street Festival '09 Electric Youth!] D'J Party (J-Rock & Cosplay)

20 June 09 - Private birthday party @ SMU Scréme Cafe

7 August 09 - Potong Pasir CC 44th National Day Celebrations Dinner

9 August 09 - Singapore's Got Youth Talent 2009 Grand Finals @ Bishan Junction 8

11 August 09 - SB Talentime 2009 Finals

25, 31 August & 2, 9, 14, 16, 23, 30 September 09 - Live gigs @ C.Nai Hong Kong Xpress (ECP)

25 September 09 - Ark Singing Talent Contest (Semi-Finals) at ArkHub @ Kallang

2 October 09 - "Moonlight Voices in the City": MoonFest @ Esplanade

29 October 09 - Blackout @ Emily 2009

16 November 09 - "The Stage Is Yours" - acoustic set @ Music Dreamer Live! Cafe

5 December 09 - Singapore Prison Service - Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon @ S'pore Expo

12 December 09 - Youth Advolution for Health (YAH) Birthday Bash 2009 @ Republic Polytechnic

13 December 09 - Project Eathink @ The Cathay

21 December 09 - Ju Eng Home for Senior Citizens performance

Projects/Teaching:

  • June–September 2009: Keyboard instructor at Music Garage
  • July–November 2009: Recorded sound engineer/arranger for St. Joseph’s Institution International (SJII) pantomime: “The Wizard of O.R.S.”
  • 5-8 November 2009: Sound engineer for Musical Theatre Limited’s “Wonder of Musicals”
  • November 2009-ongoing: Musical Theatre Limited mini-musical song arrangements
  • November 2009-ongoing: SOMA recording project
  • December 2009-ongoing: Church song arrangement project
  • Workshops, Seminars, Meet-ups:

  • 10 January: SOMA Open House 2009 - Songwriting workshop by Keith Kwok
  • 21 March: "Getting Yourself Heard" - NOISE Singapore workshop by Daniel Ong
  • ~ 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year? May lots of luck, limitless laughter, and most of all, lavishing love be with you and your loved ones this coming 2010... Happy New Year! ~

    Warm regards, Edwin

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home